Sunday 8 February 2009

Browse » home» » Woodstove Fence -Mortise and Tenon Joints

Woodstove Fence -Mortise and Tenon Joints

Advertise


The fence work continues...

On to the mortise and tenon joints!

My tool kit for this part included: my new Gramercy holdfasts (thanks sweetie!), mallet, big-boy mortising chisel (almost silly large), smaller chisel for cleaning up the bottom of the mortises, mortise gauge, square, folding rule, knife and my LN dovetail saw. Here's a shot of the bench top after several hours of work.



The piece in the center is a combination layout gauge and M&T tester for this project. I tried a new technique for chopping the mortises that I read about a while ago over at Peter Follansbee's blog - it worked great. A little too great maybe, as I really got into a groove with the mortising - so much so I forgot to take pictures! About all I can offer is a shot of the tester confirming that the mortises are the correct size and depth.



I did remember to take some shots of the tenons being marked and cut.









A final test, and that's one more done...out of 50 total...sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment